9.25.2012

Life's Simple Pleasures

Yesterday I attended a funeral for a very special young woman.

Her name is Heather Probst.




I was fortunate enough to be Heather's seminary teacher last year.  She was an absolute delight.  Every day she came bouncing down the hall with a huge smile on her face.  Almost every day she bore her testimony to the class.  She spoke of President Thomas Monson, babies, Young Women's and Jesus.  Always those four things, not necessarily in that order.  Those were usually the only words we could understand.  But no matter what she said, her real testimony was born in her fervency and her love of life.   What a girl!

She loved princesses, especially Rapunzel.  She loved the Utes (Ok, I can forgive her on that one!) and she loved people.  All people!

One sweet story that was shared at her funeral, which was held, incidentally on her 17th birthday, was of a time she was in the hospital, being treated for leukemia for the second time, and the doctors had been poking and prodding her all day.  She was usually so agreeable and willing to submit herself to any of the torture her doctors inflicted.  But on this day, they wanted to give her a large dose of medicine through a port in her tummy.  She had reached the end!  So, much to their surprise, when the doctor went to give her the treatment she shouted, "NO!"  And then announced, "Tummies are for tickling!"

After battling her cancer for 6 years, she finally gave in a few days ago.

All I can say is that I feel very, very blessed to know this little girl, and consider her, as do all that know her, a little angel sent from God to make all of our lives happier.  Can't wait until I can see her again.  I know I'll have to stand in line.  But, it'll be worth it!

No comments: