Have you heard this phrase being bantered about frequently? Well, I have and it is quickly becoming a pet peeve. While I think there may be a place for the idea it expresses in the context of dealing with hardships or difficulties that have been thrust upon us . . . there is NO PLACE for this in the context of decisions we ourselves have made. Unfortunately, all too often when I hear this sentiment it is used to justify or rationalize the negative consequences of stupidity or sin. Then, when the person gets "stuck in the mud" so to speak, they pull out this phrase as if it were a cure-all. . . as though God had dropped them in the mud for their own good.
It doesn't work that way! Our Heavenly Father expects us to be "anxiously engaged" in doing many good things of our own free will and choice. We are agents unto ourselves to act . . . not to be acted upon. So, to think that we are merely pawns sitting here waiting for God's purposes to happen in our lives is ridiculous.
I invite anyone to share your thoughts on this subject. Perhaps I'm misreading the meaning of the phrase. What do you think?
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
First, let me say that I'm a little late in commenting on this subject, but when I read your post just now, it bothered me too. People do talk as if they are just pawns being tossed about... Let's be honest, if we were pawns being tossed about at God's hands, do any of us really think that this world would be as bad as it is right now? Any chance that we would be as sinful, corrupt, and uncaring as we are now with him in total control? I don't think so baby! If we really succomed to His will 100%, only then could we say "everything happens for a reason." But when we choose to go against His will, all we can say is "Everything that's happened to me is my own fault."
Great perspective Chase! I agree completely! Glad we're on the same page!
Mom
PS . . . my word verification here is DOMOS . . . doesn't that mean something like thank you in Japan? Maybe I need to add arrigato . . . domo arrigato, Chase.
Post a Comment