12.14.2009

Dr. Ryan

Have you ever been to a chiropractor?

Do you understand the chiropractic philosophy?

I just attended graduation at Parker College of Chiropractic in Dallas, Texas. I was educated in the philosophy of Chiropractic in a way that I had never been before. Dr. Mancini, the President of the college, reminded us that if we take care of our body, it will take care of us. Our body has a natural ability to heal itself, as evidenced by the way cuts and bruises heal on their own. That same impetus for healing exists in every system of these amazing, miraculous, God-given bodies that we inhabit. Chiropractic exists to encourage that natural healing by aiming to KEEP the body healthy, rather than treat it after is has become sick.

Traditional medicine in the US should be called a "Sick care" system rather than a "Health Care" system, because we don't participate in it until we are sick and symptomatic. We need to start thinking differently, by doing the things we ought to do to KEEP our bodies healthy rather than waiting until they are sick to treat them.

This is a philosophy that I can support. This is a philisophy that rings true to me.

All that being said . . . I'd like to introduce you to my #1 favorite administrator of the philosophy . . . Dr. Ryan Weed.



OK, so that was him a few years ago.

But the real Ryan Weed, the today Ryan Weed, is now a Doctor of Chiropractic!
Yep! He did it! He graduated! Check out the cool robe!



Can I take a minute here to recap Ryan's experience from my perspective? Of course I can. This is my blog!



3 1/2 years ago he moved his family, consisting of Bethany and 2 1/2 year old Nathan to Lewisville, TX to begin the Chiropractic journey.



The school schedule is demanding and relentless. They take about 28 credit hours a trimester. Those credits are not made up of basket-weaving, either. They are fully engaged in anatomy, biology, organic chemistry, physiology, etc. They take tests at a rate of about 5 a week. The pace is overwhelming. Many students fall by the wayside. Chiropractic school is not for lightweights!

At first, Ryan was in shock and the pace of the program was a common topic of our conversations. Before six months had passed the grueling demands became second nature, no longer even a consideration.

However, while other guys and gals in the program were off in Las Vegas attending conferences, or home studying in the quiet of their studio apartment, Ryan was home babysitting children or serving in his church calling.

Throughout this process he and Bethany added two adorable children to the family, Cody and Leah. They have moved twice. They have been in at least 3 different ward arrangements with numerous changes in church assignment. Nathan has started school. Bethany has started her own business. It is remarkable how these two have thrived! No time outs! No "we'll serve later". No hesitation to jump right in and live life!



While a student at Parker, Ryan re-established an LDS Institute program on campus. He invited other students of all faiths to attend with him. He also attended their Bible study clubs and engaged in positive religious discussions with many students. He gave a Book of Mormon to several of his classmates and invited them on multiple occasions to read and study. He has been an unwavering missionary throughout his time in Texas.

I am so proud of Ryan and Bethany on so many levels it is impossible to express. They have grown and stretched and thrived under very challenging circumstances and in ways I cannot imagine. What a blessing it is to be equally yoked and completely focused on a common goal. They are proof that two people (now 5 people) are better than one!



Can I now state without hesitation how delighted I am that they have chosen to go to Boise to begin their professional lives together? I wasn't going to meddle. I wasn't going to tell them what to do. But, now that they've decided I will admit that Boise was my hope. I know they will be happy there. Their chances of early success are much greater there than anywhere else. And the nicest people on the planet earth live in that town. So, yippee! I couldn't be happier!

I love you, Ryan and Bethany, and I couldn't be prouder!

4 comments:

Bikeboy said...

What an awesome family!

As an Official Boise Greeter (in training for a similar position at Wal-Mart) I join in welcoming the Weeds BACK to Boise! They will definitely be an asset to the community!

We've got our share of jerks, just like any place, but we've got at least our share of really wonderful people.

Regarding chiropractic... I've benefited from the services of a chiropractor two times in my life. On both occasions, I felt good about the services rendered.

My wife's family has a BUNCH of chiropractors, including an uncle and both of her brothers-in-law. (I had an unpleasant "chiropractic experience" with the uncle.)

Our M.D. father/grandfather had chiropractor friends, and referred patients to chiropractors when he felt they would benefit. (Unfortunately, some in the "medical community" dismiss chiropractors. And I'm a little skeptical myself, when I see a chart that shows how every ailment known to man can be traced to a pinched nerve. But I suspect Ryan has a handle on what he can and can't do something for.)

Ryan and Bethany - I hope you have the common sense to live in town, rather than way out in the sticks someplace, where they are totally dependent on driving everyplace they need to go, to save a few bucks on rent. (In fact, there are houses right in our ward! Good schools, pleasant shopping... hint-hint...)

Bethany said...

Dude. Heidi. How did you get so lucky to get MULTIPLE comments from Steve? I've gotten ONE in my blog's LIFE and I treasure it dearly... and hey... come to think about it, it was on a post about YOU anyway! :)

Thanks for the kind words! I'll show Ryan when he gets home.

Bikeboy said...

Bethany... your blog is DAZZLING! I've visited on several occasions and am always impressed by your way with words and eye for composition... AND for your obvious devotion to your family.

This Weeder's Digest is a "startup," and I'm trying to lend support. And... it's fun to see what my Kid Sister has on her mind!


Don't be strangers!

emily said...

I can't believe how much Cody looks like Ryan--I never knew!

Your new blog is great, by the way. :)